Tuesday, August 11, 2009

20 mile run

Ran 20 miles last Thursday morning, the longest distance I have ever run in my life. Preperations for the run began two nights before when I mapped out the approximate course in my car; and the night before on my way home from work when I strategically stashed a 32oz water bottle near about the half way point of the run... then later set my alarm clock for 6am the following morning.

I awoke then that Thursday to the blue flashes of lightning, and the sounds of thunder from a storm that had passed over and was by then a few miles out to sea, leaving behind a blanket of wetness and layer of fog, as well as humdity levels likely around 90%. Nonetheless, I headed down to the ocean after a half cup of coffee, some water and gatoraide... said my pre-run prayers in the sand, then headed onto and along the boardwalk, and up Canal Drive to the North End of the island.

Early on the run was quite pleasant, I took the pace rather easy and tried to settle in physically, and mentally as well to what I knew would likely be a three+ hour endeavor... an excellent test of my mettle and grit as a long distance runner. On the way back form the North End, a few short miles into the run, the sun began its ominous, steady upwards climb from the horizon where the sea meets the sky; its unwaverng light and heat burned quickly thru the lingering bank of fog and low clouds. I knew I was in for a challenge, one however I was somewhat prepared for.

Prepared at least hydration wise as I stopped for a drink again at the water fountain by the boardwalk, and after I crossed the island and ran up and over Snow's Cut Bridge to the mainland I stopped and drank out of a bathroom sink in the park that straddles the Atl. InterCoastal Waterway off of River Road.

Apparently that water hit the spot, since I felt a bit frisky and picked up the pace a little as I headed up past the Coast Gaurd station and up thru the tracts of marsh land that sweep back away from the Cape Fear River. About two miles or so later I realized I had been a bit over zealous; as I got a little past the half way point or ten miles, I had to slow my pace for a few shorter intervals just to sort of regain my running equilibrium.

Then I started to look for Cathay Road, and started to think about my water bottle that was stashed down that road a ways. I hoped like heck no-one had moved it or that something had happened to it, and chided myself for not remembering to put two dollars in my pocket in case I had to go into the gas station to get a water bottle.

Onto Cathay Road I went, knowing that I was in for a windy, continous upgrade for the next mile and a half, as the road weaves thru some residential areas. By now the sun was beating down on me, I had long discarded my t-shirt on a back road near the Carolina Beach Post Office. (as a corrolary I must confess I forgot and never went back to get the t-shirt that i threw over the side of a stop sign- sorry world- I did look for it a few days later on a run but it was gone-- which makes two that I have discarded and forgot now in 2009).

As i wove up, up, and around the turns (its more of an upgrade but for an area thats mostly flat its a noticeable little stretch of slight uphill) the thought came to me and I started to repeat the mantra that God resided on Cathay Road. God is on Cathay Road, God is Cathay Road... over and over. After many a bend, a turn, etc I kept thinking ok one more stretch then I will see/ hear Carolina Beach Rd and be close to my water bottle, and close to the final 7-8 mile stretch on back home. After a disapointment or two, i returned to the thought God is on Cathay Road, God is Cathay Road...

But I did make it to my water bottle, and also ate some energy sport beans I had in my pocket... as well as stick my head under a hose faucet on the side of the gas station and fill up the bottle again... taking it with me and sipping out of for a few miles down Carolina Beach Road. I gutted out it all out, running alot on the grassy areas as it was easier/ cooler on my feet, and helped me to avoid traffic. Started to break the run down from side road to side road, praying for help to get me to the next one, then giving thanks for the aid in getting me there.

Then back across Snow's Cut Bridge at @ the 18.5- 19 mile mark... whew that was a test of will going up and over, but one that will pay dividends I hope in the future. Then the last mile or so back into the center of town, and down to the boardwalk and the beach where the run came to a satisfactory and welcome end; my principle goal was to just finish in one piece. 3 hours and 4 minutes, which did surprise me some as I thought I was barely moving at times in the second half of the run. But time isn't all that important, just a measuring stick we runners use. The true importance was working towards and setting myself a challenging goal that day in my progression upwards toward a marathon in Novemeber, and not giving out or giving in when the going got tough both physically and mentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment