Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Out and About

Ran the 1st annual Movin' for Myeloma 5K Sunday morning in the beautiful Carolina Beach State Park. Finished a solid second place overall, out of about 150 runners. Tough course, especially in the first mile or so running through alot of loose sand by the Cape Fear River and up along the first leg of Sugar Loaf Trail. Times can almost be thrown out in such an event, but for the sake of this blog I finished in 18:56. Was pleased with the effort, passed a younger guy at about the two mile mark and held a strong pace through-out slowly pulling away from him on the loop back towards the finish line and marina parking lot area. Was a nice crowd out there for a smaller local race, and I enjoyed hanging and talking running/ and life with some good friends.

Went on a three hour plus long run today (Tuesday). Wasn't sure how far I was going to run (by time). Initially the thought was that if I could get in two hours I'd be pleased; but once I got out there I decided to try and extend the run out to near or past the three hour mark. My travels on foot took me over into the old Sea Breeze area and up and over Snow's Cut Bridge twice... then several miles on the trails in the State Park and out and beyond running the trails that extend out along the Cape Fear River southward towards Kure Beach. Exited out of the woods and off the trails at the interesection of Ocean Blvd and Dow Road... took Dow Road into the "backside" of the quaint town of Kure Beach... then eventually on back Lake Park Blvd and another smaller loop through the residential areas of Carolina Beach including a pleasant jaunt down the boardwalk with its exquisite views of the Atlantic Ocean visible above the dune lines and scrubby palms plants and willowy reeds. Was the 4th run now that I have done that has lasted for more than three hours.

Had put down previous to last week, two heavier mileage weeks of 55 miles and 70 miles. Last week knocked out two tempo runs of between 6-8 miles, as well as the 5K race. Plan is to run harder again for another two weeks or so then begin to taper as I approach the Outer Banks Marathon on Novemeber 8th. Though still I will try and mix in some harder work-outs, and hopefully some speedwork either on the track or on the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment