Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Getting Back into the Groove

Have had some good runs the past few days. For two weeks or so after getting back on my feet from the flu, I struggled alot running. Mainly my breathing was off, I felt lethargic, and I just didn't have alot of "gas in the tank." I did manage to put down some miles here and there, but it was a struggle, and not fun to be out doing what I love to do. But I think I have learned though not to push through every setback, to give the body time to recover, and take just the amount its willing to give on any given day, and not get greedy and attempt to take much more.

Sunday I ran all the way out to the tip of the north end of Pleasure Island and back. Was a beautiful afternoon, sunny skies and temperatures around seventy; however there was a strong wind blowing out of the south which i ran into the teeth of all the way back in this mostly out and back course I took. It was a good challenge though, and an indicator that i was starting to get some more of my running mojo back. Ran Friday about 6.5 miles, Saturday morning a shorter 3-4 miles, and Sunday's run of close to eight miles. Each day/ run i set out with the thought of enjoying the run, taking the pace slower, and being only concerned with finishing and not being exhausted.

Started this week out then by running both Monday and Tuesday after work, going 6.5 miles at close to the pace and effort I was running before my illness Monday, then knocking out a slighty harder and faster 4 plus miles Tuesday. Again I felt pretty good, not only physically but mentally and spirtually. I started to recall again why i like to run, and the positive connectivity I feel between the triumverate of the body mind and spirit. Suffice it to say, its good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment